Recognition / achievement highlights:
- March 2017: Building the concept for a Data Discovery Centre in West Midlands to support collaboration, data sharing and engagement between industry, SME’s, universities and media essential to the succesd of the Network Resilience plans for West Midlands Combined Authority.
- February 2017: Data as National Infrastructure CIHT Podcast, with Nic Cary, Head of Digital Transformation and Open Data at the Department for Transport
- November 2016: Delivering Birmingham Highways Data Challenge, for Birmingham City Council and West Midlands Combined Authority. Event details / datasets / next steps. Storify highlights from the event.
- August 2016: Co-ordinating bid proposal with Placr Ltd (TransportAPI), Landor LINKS and West Midlands Combined Authority / Birmingham City Council to develop a prototype HighwaysAPI, and national, open, URL-referenced standard and interface for sharing, access and use of highways data.
- July 2016: Redesign of Future Highways conference, bringing the highways maintenance, open data, tech, academia and energy sectors together to prioritise user needs. working with Landor LINKS to transform the business model and scope for this annual national event for the highways maintenance sector.
- May 2016: leading highways open data discussions at Open Data Camp in Bristol, the pitch: Improving local highway with open data | Liveblog: Better highways with Open Data | Reflections: Future Highways goes to Open Data Camp
Roles and activities:
2016 – present: Steering group member and Registered Trainer, Birmingham Open Data Institute (ODI) node
2015 – present: Secretariat, Future Highways Forum
2015 – present: Future Highways Programme Lead, Landor LINKS
2013-2014, and 2016 – present: Member, West Midlands Open Data Forum
2012-2013: Highways Term Maintenance Association (HTMA), Improvement and Efficiency Working Group member
2011-2012: Chair, National Highways and Transport Benchmarking Club (combined for Highways Design and Maintenance)
2010-2011: Vice Chair, National Highways and Transport Highways Design Benchmarking Club
2014 – present: Creative Director, DEFT153 Ltd, with Pupul Chatterjee (transport journalist), delivering open data, digital, social media journalism, and transformational change support for media, public and private sector companies
2013-2014: Freelance consultant providing journalism and liveblogging services to highways sector event organisers including Association of Directors for Environment, Economy, Planning and Transport (ADEPT) and World Roads Association
2000-2013: Mouchel Ltd (Environmental Geologist, Assistant CDM Co-ordinator, Business Improvement project team member, oneMIS Performance Reporting Advisor)
2013-2016: MA Online Journalism, Birmingham City University
1999-2000: MSc Applied Environmental Geology, University of Wales College of Cardiff
1996-1999: BSc Geology, (2:1), University of Wales College of Cardiff
Memberships / qualifications / affiliations:
2016 – present: Open Data Institute (ODI) Registered Trainer, Highways and Transport
2016 – present: Associate member, Local Government Technical Advisers Group (National Transport Committee member)
2008-2013: Chartered Geologist (CGeol), Geological Society (now lapsed due to career change)
2010-2013: Associate member, Association for Project Safety (now lapsed due to career change)