Recognition / achievement highlights:
- 2018: Developing concept for Landor LINKS’ Digital Transport Exchange event, 11-12 July 2018 in West Midlands. Leading on overarching narrative before and after the event, as well as mapping existing groups, association and organisations in the local transport sector
- Jan – April 2018: supporting national review of local transport data, as independent reviewer for DfT Local Transport data discovery project
- July – December 2017: SME Engagement and Innovation Facilitator, for Transport for West Midlands and Innovation Birmingham. Connecting SME’s into the ERDF-funded Innovation Engine project, to help them gain introductions and explore potential opportunities with industry partners Amey and TfWM
- April 2017: Running the Data Discovery Centre at Traffex. Live testing of a Data Discovery Centre in the West Midlands to support collaboration, data sharing and engagement between industry, SME’s, universities and media essential to the succeed of the Network Resilience plans for West Midlands Combined Authority.
- February 2017: Data as National Infrastructure CIHT Podcast, with Nic Cary, Head of Digital Transformation and Open Data at the Department for Transport
- November 2016: Delivering Birmingham Highways Data Challenge, for Birmingham City Council and West Midlands Combined Authority. Event details / datasets / next steps. Storify highlights from the event.
- August 2016: Co-ordinating bid proposal with Placr Ltd (TransportAPI), Landor LINKS and West Midlands Combined Authority / Birmingham City Council to develop a prototype HighwaysAPI, and national, open, URL-referenced standard and interface for sharing, access and use of highways data.
- July 2016: Redesign of Future Highways conference, bringing the highways maintenance, open data, tech, academia and energy sectors together to prioritise user needs. working with Landor LINKS to transform the business model and scope for this annual national event for the highways maintenance sector.
Roles and activities:
2018 – present: Project Working Group Member, DfT Local Transport Data Discovery project
2018 – present: Member, Transport Network Select Committee (Hemming Group)
2018 – present: Policy Group Member, Transport Data Initiative
2016 – present: Steering group member and Transport Lead, Birmingham Open Data Institute (ODI) node
2015 – present: Digital Transport Exchange / Future Highways Programme Lead, Landor LINKS
2013-2014, and 2016 – present: Member, West Midlands Open Data Forum
2012-2013: Highways Term Maintenance Association (HTMA), Improvement and Efficiency Working Group member
2011-2012: Chair, National Highways and Transport Benchmarking Club (combined for Highways Design and Maintenance)
2010-2011: Vice Chair, National Highways and Transport Highways Design Benchmarking Club
November 2017: Book chapter published in Data Journalism: past, present and future (Abramis publishing, 2017), entitled: How data journalism can revolutionise local transport: A West Midlands case study
2014 – present: Creative Director, DEFT153 Ltd, with Pupul Chatterjee (transport journalist), delivering open data, digital, social media journalism, and transformational change support for media, public and private sector companies
2013-2014: Freelance consultant providing journalism and liveblogging services to highways sector event organisers including Association of Directors for Environment, Economy, Planning and Transport (ADEPT) and World Roads Association
2000-2013: Mouchel Ltd (Environmental Geologist, Assistant CDM Co-ordinator, Business Improvement project team member, oneMIS Performance Reporting Advisor)
2013-2016: MA Online Journalism, Birmingham City University
1999-2000: MSc Applied Environmental Geology, University of Wales College of Cardiff
1996-1999: BSc Geology, (2:1), University of Wales College of Cardiff
Memberships / qualifications / affiliations:
2017 – present: Member of Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (MCIHT)
2016 – present: Open Data Institute (ODI) Registered Trainer, Highways and Transport
2016 – present: Associate member, Local Government Technical Advisers Group (National Transport Committee member)
2008-2013: Chartered Geologist (CGeol), Geological Society (now lapsed due to career change)
2010-2013: Associate member, Association for Project Safety (now lapsed due to career change)